Most recently added recipes appear first. Use the search box if you know what you are looking for and the recipe index to get ideas for certain types of foods. Click on individual recipes to print them. You are welcome to add comments to recipes, but they will be read by the moderator before being published.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beef or Chicken Chili

Cynthia Winward
I like my chili with lots of vegetables and beans. My kids like the meat, so here’s how I compromise. This makes a big pot—enough for two dinners for my family of 5. I love leftovers for lunch so I prefer to make a big pot.

2-4 T. olive oil
2 chopped onions
1 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1 pound ground beef*
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 large can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
2 cans tomato sauce (8oz)
1 tomato sauce can of water
2 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
2-3 chopped red and/or yellow bell peppers
½ a bunch of chopped cilantro
Toppings: pepper jack cheese, sour cream, lime wedges
Good homemade cornbread.

In a large soup pot or dutch oven heat olive oil. Saute the onions and spices for 2-3 minutes. Spices need to cook in oil to ‘bloom’ them. Don’t skip this step! Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. After the ground beef has browned for 4-5 minutes, add the garlic. Stir until combined. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the onion and bell peppers are soft. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro.

Serve with toppings of your choice and lots of good cornbread.

*To make a chicken chili add 2 cups diced cooked chicken. I like to just shred a rotisserie chicken from Costco. Print Recipe

0 comments :

Post a Comment